Selected journal papers
1. Qichao Jin, Wenhu Wang, Ruisong Jiang, Louis Ngai Sum Chiu, Di Liu, Wenyi Yan, 2017. A numerical study on contact condition and wear of roller in cold rolling. Metals 7, No. 376.
2. Quan Lai, Ralph Abrahams, Wenyi Yan, Cong Qiu, Peter Mutton, Anna Paradowska, Mehdi Soodi, 2017. Investigation of a novel functionally graded material for the repair of premium hypereutectoid rails using laser cladding technology. Composite Part B 130, 174-191.
3. Daniel Aggromito, Mark Jaffrey, Allen Chhor, Bernard Chen, Wenyi Yan, 2017. Effects of lumbar spine assemblies and body borne equipment mass on anthropomorphic test device responses during drop tests. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 139, 101004-101004-8.
4. Daniel Stojanov, Xinhua Wu, Brian G Falzon, Wenyi Yan, 2017. Axisymmetric structural optimization design and void control for selective laser melting. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 56, 1027–1043.
5. Qichao Jin, Wenhu Wang, Wenyi Yan, Ruisong Jiang 2017. Springback and forward slip compensation in designing roller cavity surfaces for net-shape rolling compressor blades. Materials and Manufacturing Processes 32, 1442-1449.
6. X.L. Cui, G.X. Chen, J.W. Zhao, W Yan, H. Ouyang, M.H. Zhu, 2017. Field investigation and numerical study of the rail corrugation caused by frictional self-excited vibration. Wear 376-377, 1919-1929.
7. Wenyi Yan, Germain Sossou and Ramesh Rajan, 2017. A Multi-body Dynamics Study on a Weight-Drop Test of Rat Brain Injury. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering 20, 602-616.
8. Santanu Paul, Ramesh Singh and Wenyi Yan, 2016. Thermal model for additive restoration of mold steels using crucible steel. Journal of Manufacturing Processes 24, 346-354.
9. N. Muthu, S.K. Maiti, B.G. Falzon and Wenyi Yan, 2016. Crack Propagation in Non-homogenous materials: Evaluation of Mixed-Mode SIFs, T-stress and Kinking angle using a variant of EFG Method. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements. 72, 11-26.
10. Zhenyue Chang, Junkai Deng, Ganaka G. Chandrakumara, Wenyi Yan and Jefferson Zhe Liu, 2016. Two-way actuation of graphene oxide arising from quantum mechanical effects. Applied Physics Letters 109, 143902.
11. Zhenyue Chang, Junkai Deng, Ganaka G. Chandrakumara, Wenyi Yan and Jefferson Zhe Liu, 2016. Two-Dimensional Shape Memory Graphene Oxide. Nature Communications. 7, 11972.
12. L. N. S. Chiu, B. G. Falzon, R. Boman, B. Chen, W. Yan, 2016. Validation of a 3D damage model for predicting the response of composite structures under crushing loads. Composite Structures 147, 65-73.
13. Q. Kan, C. Yu, G. Kang, J. Li, W. Yan, 2016. Experimental observations on rate-dependent cyclic deformation of super-elastic NiTi shape memory alloy. Mechanics of Materials 97, 48-58.
14. D. Stojanov, B. G. Falzon, X. Wu, W. Yan, 2016. Implementing a structural continuity constraint and a halting method for the topology optimization of energy absorbers. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 54, 429-448.
15. N. T. Chowdhury, J. Wang, W. K. Chiu and W. Yan, 2016. Matrix Failure in Composite Laminates under Compressive Loading. Composites Part A. 84, 103-113.
16. N. T. Chowdhury, J. Wang, W. K. Chiu and W. Yan, 2016. Predicting matrix failure in composite structures using a hybrid failure criterion. Composite Structures 137, 148-158.
17. N. T. Chowdhury, J. Wang, W. K. Chiu and W. Yan, 2016. Matrix failure in composite laminates under tensile loading. Composite Structures 135, 61-73.
18. C. Wu, A. J. Gunnion, B. Chen and W. Yan, 2015. Fatigue damage tolerance of two tapered composite patch configurations. Composite Structures 134, 654-662.
19. C. L. Pun, Q. Kan, P. J. Mutton, G. Kang and W. Yan, 2015. An efficient computational approach to evaluate the ratcheting performance of rail steels under cyclic rolling contact in service. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 101-102, 213-226.
20. Z. Chen and W. Yan, 2015. A shear-lag model with a cohesive fibre-matrix interface for analysis of fibre pull-out. Mechanics of Materials 91, 119-135.
21. D. Aggromito, R. Thomson, J. Wang, A. Chhor, B. Chen and Wenyi Yan, 2015. Effect of body-borne equipment on injury of military pilots and aircrew during a simulated helicopter crash. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 50, 130-142.
22. Y. Jia, Z. Chen and W. Yan, 2015. A numerical study on carbon nanotube pullout to understand its bridging effect in carbon nanotube reinforced composites. Composites Part B 81, 64-71.
23. L. N. S. Chiu, B. G. Falzon, R. Boman, B. Chen and W. Yan, 2015. Finite element modelling of composite structures under crushing load. Composite Structures 131, 215-228.
24. L. N. S. Chiu, B. G. Falzon, D. Ruan, S. Xu, R. S. Thomson, B. Chen and W. Yan, 2015. Crush responses of composite cylinder under quasi-static and dynamic loading. Composite Structures 131, 90-98.
25. T. F. Low, C. L. Pun and W. Yan, 2015. Theoretical study on Nanoindentation Hardness Measurement of a Particle Embedded in a Matrix. Philosophical Magazine 95, 1573-1586.
26. V. R. Adineh, B. Liu, R. Rajan, W. Yan and J. Fu, 2015. Multidimensional characterization of biomechanical structures by combining atomic force microscopy and focused ion beam: a study of the rat whisker. Acta Biomaterialia 21, 132-141.
27. N. Hutasoit, V. Luzin, A. Blicblau, W. Yan, M. Brandt, R. Cottam, 2015. Fatigue life of laser clad hardfacing alloys on AISI 4130 steel under rotary bending fatigue test. International Journal of Fatigue 72, 42-52.
28. Y. Jia, Z. Chen and W. Yan (2014):
A Numerical Study on Carbon Nanotube-Hybridized Carbon Fibre Pullout. Composites Science and Technology 91, 38-44.
29. C. L. Pun, Q. Kan, P. J. Mutton, G. Kang and W. Yan (2014):
A Single Parameter to Evaluate Stress State in Rail Head for Rolling Contact Fatigue Analysis. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 37, 909-919.
30. G. Soni, S. Gupta, R. Singh, M. Mitra, W. Yan and B. G. Falzon (2014):
Study of localized damage in composite laminates using micro-macro method. Composite Structures 113, 1-11.
31. D. Aggromito, B. Chen, R. Thomson, J. Wang and W. Yan (2014)
Effects of body-borne equipment on occupant forces during a helicopter crash. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 44, 561-569.
32. C. L. Pun, Q. Kan, P. J. Mutton, G. Kang and W. Yan (2014):
Ratcheting Behaviour of High Strength Rail Steels under Bi-axial Compression-Torsion Loadings: Experiment and Simulation. International Journal of Fatigue 66, 138-154.
33. N. Khandoker, R. Ibrahim, W. Yan, S. C. Hawkins and C. P. Huynh (2014):
Mixed mode peeling of spinnable carbon nanotube webs. Materials & Design 62, 7-13.
34. Z. Chang, W. Yan, J. Shang and J. Z. Liu (2014):
Piezoelectric properties of graphene oxide from the first-principles calculations. Applied Physics Letters 105, 023103.
35. W. Yan, Q. Kan, K. Kergrene, G. Kang, X.-Q. Feng and R. Rajan (2013):
A truncated conical beam model for analysis of the vibration of rat whiskers. Journal of Biomechanics46, 1987-1995.
36. W. Yan, A. Amini and Q. Sun (2013):
On anomalous depth-dependency of the hardness of NiTi shape memory alloys in spherical nanoindentation. Journal of Materials Research 28, 2031-2039.
37. Q. Kan, W. Yan, G. Kang and Q. Sun (2013):
Oliver-Pharr indentation method in determining elastic moduli of shape memory alloys --- a phase transformable material. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 61, 2015-2033.
38. Q. Kan, R. Rajan, J. Fu, G. Kang and W. Yan (2013):
Elastic Modulus of Rat Whiskers --- A Key Biomaterial in the Rat Whisker Sensory System. Materials Research Bulletin 48, 5026-5032.
39. S. Kashef, A. Asgari, T. B. Hilditch, W. Yan, V. K. Goel, P. Quadbeck, P. D. Hodgson (2013):
Fracture Mechanics of Stainless Steel Foams. Materials Science and Engineering A 578, 115-124.
40. F. Karimirad, B. Shirinzadeh, W. Yan and S. Fatikow (2013):
A vision-based methodology to dynamically track and describe cell deformation during cell micromanipulation. International Journal of Optomechatronics 7, 33-45.
41. N. Hutasoit, W. Yan, R. Cottam, M. Brandt, A. Blicblau (2013):
Evaluation of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties at the Interface Region of Laser-Clad Stellite 6 on Steel Using Nanoindentation. Metallography, Microstructure, and Analysis 2, 328-336.
42. W. Yan, C. L. Pun and G. P. Simon (2012):
Conditions of applying Oliver-Pharr method to the nanoindentation of particles in composites. Composites Science and Technology 72, pp. 1147-1152.
43. M. Pereira, W. Yan, and B. F. Rolfe (2012):
Wear at the die radius in sheet metal stamping. Wear 274-275, pp. 355-367.
44. A. Amini, W. Yan and Q. Sun (2011):
Depth dependency of indentation hardness during solid-state phase transition of shape memory alloys. Applied Physics Letters 99, No. 021901.
45. W. Yan, C. L. Pun, Z. Wu and G. P. Simon (2011):
Some issues on nanoindentation method to measure the elastic modulus of particles in composites. Composites: Part B -Eng. 42, 2093-2097.
46. W. Yan, J. Berthe, C. Wen (2011):
Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Porous Titanium Femoral Prosthesis on Bone Remodeling. Materials & Design 32, 1776-1782.
47. W. Yan and O. D. Pangestu (2011):
A Modified Human Head Model for the Study of Impact Head Injury. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering 14, 1049-1057.
48. S. Kashef, A. Asgari, T. B. Hilditch, W. Yan, V. K. Goeld, P. D. Hodgsona (2011):
Fatigue crack growth behavour of titanium foams for medical applications. Materials Science and Engineering A 528, 1602-1607.
49. W. Yan and C. L. Pun (2010):
Spherical Indentation of Metallic Foams. Materials Science and Engineering A 527, 3166-3175.
50. M. Pereira, W. Yan, and B. F. Rolfe (2010):
Sliding distance, contact pressure and wear in sheet metal stamping. Wear 268, 1275-1284.
51. G. Kang and W. Yan (2010):
Scaling Relationships in Sharp Conical Indentation of Shape Memory Alloys. Philosophical Magazine 90, 599-616.
52. S. Kashef, A. Asgari, T. B. Hilditch, W. Yan, V. K. Goeld, P. D. Hodgsona (2010):
Fracture toughness of titanium foams for medical applications. Materials Science and Engineering A 527, 7689-7693.
53. J. Wang, P. Hodgson, J. Zhang, W. Yan and C. Yang (2010):
Effects of pores on shear bands in metallic glasses: A molecular dynamics study. Computational Materials Science 50, 211-217.
54. J. Yang, S. Sun, M. Brandt and W. Yan (2010):
Experimental investigation and 3D finite element prediction of the heat affected zone during laser assisted machining of Ti6Al4V alloy. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 210, 2215-2222.
55. W. Yan, Z. Li, X. Wang and L. Wang (2009):
Dynamic Responses of Irregular Fibres under Axial Tension. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 113, 2561-2568.
56. G. Kang and W. Yan (2009):
Effects of Phase Transition on the Hardness of Shape Memory Alloys. Applied Physics Letters 94, No. 261906
57. M. Genet, W. Yan and T. Tran-Cong (2009):
Investigation of a hydraulic impact - a technology in rock breaking. Archive of Applied Mechanics 79, 825-841.
58. M. Pereira, J. L. Duncan, W. Yan, and B. F. Rolfe (2009):
Contact Pressure Evolution at the Die Radius in Sheet Metal Stamping. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209, 3532-3541.
59. J. Wang, P. Hodgson, J. Zhang, W. Yan and C. Yang (2009):
Effects of quenching rate on amorphous structures of Cu46Zr54 metallic glass. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209, 4601-4606.
60. M. Pereira, W. Yan, and B. F. Rolfe (2008):
Contact pressure evolution and its relation to wear in sheet metal forming. Wear 265, 1687-1699.
61. W. Yan, Q. Sun and P. D. Hodgson (2008):
Determination of plastic yield stress from spherical indentation slope curve. Materials Letters 62, 2260-2262.
62. X.-Q. Feng, L. Qian, W. Yan and Q. Sun (2008):
Wearless scratch on NiTi shape memory alloy due to phase transformational shakedown. Applied Physics Letters 92, No. 121909.
63. L. Qian, Z. Zhou, Q. Sun and W. Yan (2007):
Nanofretting behaviour of NiTi shape memory alloy. Wear 263, 501-507.
64. H.-Y. Liu, W. Yan, X.-Y. Yu and Y.-W. Mai (2007):
Experimental study on effect of loading rate on mode I delamination of z-pin reinforced laminates. Composites Science and Technology 67, 1294-1301.
65. W. Yan, E. Durif, Y. Yamada and C. Wen (2007):
Crushing Simulation of Foam-Filled Aluminium Tubes. Materials Transactions 48, 1901-1906.
66. W. Yan, Q. Sun, X.-Q. Feng, L. Qian (2007):
Analysis of Spherical Indentation of Superelastic Shape Memory Alloys. International Journal of Solids and Structures 44, 1-17.
67. W. Yan (2006):
Theoretical investigation of wear-resistance mechanism of superelastic shape memory alloy NiTi. Materials Science and Engineering A 427, 348-355.
68. W. Yan, Q. Sun, X.-Q. Feng, L. Qian (2006):
Determination of transformation stresses of shape memory alloys --- a method based on spherical indentation. Applied Physics Letters 88, No. 24912.
69. W. Yan, Q. Sun, H.-Y. Liu, (2006):
Spherical indentation hardness of shape memory alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A 425, 278-285.
70. S.-C. Dai, W. Yan, H.-Y. Liu and Y.-W. Mai (2004):
Experimental study on z-pin bridging law by pullout test. Composites Science and Technology 64, 2451-2457.
71. W. Yan, H.-Y. Liu and Y.-W. Mai (2004):
Mode II delamination toughness of z-pinned laminates. Composites Science and Technology 64, 1937-1945.
72. W. Yan, H.-Y. Liu and Y.-W. Mai (2003):
Numerical study on the mode I delamination toughness of z-pinned laminates. Composites Science and Technology 63, 1481-1493.
73. W. Yan, C. H. Wang, X. P. Zhang and Y.-W. Mai (2003):
Theoretical modeling of the effect of plasticity on reverse transformation in superelastic shape memory alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A 354, 146-157.
74. W. Yan, C. H. Wang, X. P. Zhang and Y.-W. Mai (2002):
Effect of transformation volume contraction on the toughness of superelastic shape memory alloys. Smart Materials and Structures 11, 947-955.
75. W. Yan, N. P. O'Dowd and E. P. Busso (2002):
Numerical study of sliding wear caused by a loaded pin on a rotating disc. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 50, 449-470.
76. W. Yan, E. P. Busso and N. P. O'Dowd (2000):
A micromechanics investigation of sliding wear in coated components. Proceedings of Royal Society London, Series A 456, 2387-2407.
77. W. Yan and F. D. Fischer (2000):
Applicability of the Hertz contact theory to rail-wheel contact problems. Archive of Applied Mechanics 70, 255-268.
78. R. Danzer, F. D. Fischer, W. Yan (2000):
79. D.-N. Fang, W. Lu, W. Yan, T. Inoue and K.-C. Hwang (1998):
Stress-strain relation of CuAlNi SMA single crystal under biaxial loading ---- constitutive model and experiments. Acta materialia 47, 269-280.
80. W. Yan, Q.-P. Sun, and K.-C. Hwang (1998):
A generalized micromechanics constitutive theory of single crystal with thermoelastic martensitic transformation. Science in China (Series A) 41, 878-886.
81. F. D. Fischer, E. Werner and W. Yan (1997):
Thermal stresses for sliding contact in wheel-rail systems. Wear 221, 156-163.
82. W. Yan, Q.-P. Sun and K.-C. Hwang (1997):
Analyses of transformation plastic localization in ceramics. International Journal of Plasticity 13, 201-213.
83. W. Yan, G. Reisner and F. D. Fischer (1997):
Micromechanical study on the morphology of matersite in constrained zirconia. Acta materialia 45, 1969-1976.
84. W. Yan, Q.-P. Sun and K.-C. Hwang (1996):
Pseudoelastic hysteresis in martensitic reorientation of Cu-Zn-Al polycrystalline shape memory alloys. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 7, 114-118.