[ Home ]
Paper Mechanical Properties
"Investigation of an alternative technique to measure fracture toughness of
- Derrick developed a new method of measuring sheet fracture toughness
- PhD thesis accepted on the 11th of January,
Jihong He- "Quantitative Study of Paper
Structure at the Fibre Level for Development of a Model for the Tensile Strength
- Jihong developed a new method for
analysing fibre shape and orientation in the sheet and
then used the information to develop a model for the tensile strength of paper.
- PhD thesis accepted on the 29th of November 2005.
Kaustubh Joshi- "A new technique to
measure Shear Bond Strength"
- Kaustubh developed a new method to measure the shear bond strength of
fibre-fibre contacts by weakening the fibres with HCl gas exposure to the
point where all the fibres across a fracture line broke. At this point
the fibre strength is equal to the strength of one bond.
- Masters of Engineering Science (Research) thesis accepted on the 21st of
Sonya Rand- "Linting of Filler in the
Offset Printing Process"
- Sonya investigated several techniques for measuring filler content in the
paper surface. The most reliable technique was found to be Backscatter
SEM. No strong correlation between surface filler content and lint
in offset printing was found.
- Masters of Engineering Science Minor thesis Accepted May 2004
Joakim Voltaire- "Ink Film Splitting Acoustics in Offset Printing"
- Joakim completed his PhD at The Institute of Surface Chemistry (YKI) in
Stockholm. His supervisor was Dr. Andrew Fogden of YKI. Defended
his thesis on 17/3/2006.
- He found relationships between the cavitation sound from ink film
splitting at the exit of the printing nip and printing press dynamics.
- Visited APPI and Norske Skog Boyer for several weeks. The thesis
includes two papers from this collaboration and so I have included it
- The thesis is available for
download from the KTH web site.
Afriana Sudarno-"Investigation of the
effect of press and paper variables on linting during the offset printing of
- Afriana submitted her Masters by research thesis on the 6th of January,
2007 and the thesis was accepted on the 26th of March, 2007.
- New methods were developed for collecting lint particles and quantifying
them by image analysis.
- Smaller (7,000 copies) and larger (25,000 copies) press trials were
and Paper Institute
CV-Departmental Web Page