Making Testosterone Implants
Allow 2-3 days drying time before the use of implants to ensure adequate drying of the silicone cap.
To be done 1 day prior to filling with testosterone powder.
- Cut desired lengths (eg. 3mm, 5mm or 10mm) of silastic tubing leaving extra length for the silicone seal. For example for a 5mm long pump, leave extra 3mm on each side, so cut tubing into 11mm lengths.
- Cap one end of the tube with roughly 3mm of silicone. The easiest way to do this is to fill a 3ml syringe with silicone and using an 18G needle to direct the silicone flow into the tube. Make sure no air-bubbles are present in the silicone.
- Leave implants to dry overnight in a fume cupboard.
Continue remaining steps in the fume cupboard.
You will need:
- Small Funnel
- Glass Pipette
- Once dry, fill the tube with the desired amount of testosterone powder by using a glass pipette with the tip cut off. Push the end of the glass pipette into the open end of the implant up to the length required (measured using a ruler).
- Once in position, fill the pipette with powder (using a funnel). Give the implant end a gentle pulsatile vortex to shake the powder into the silastic tube. Make sure the powder is packed in tightly; the powder will look smooth in appearance.
- Check the length of the compacted powder.
- When satisfied with length and compactness, remove the pipette from the tube, making sure not to loosen the powder within.
- Seal the opened end with silicone.
Allow at least 3 days for the silicone to dry completely before implantation.