- Mice are anaesthetised using an inhaled 4% isofluorane/oxygen mix. Mice are also given Carprofen s.c. (0.1ml/10g) for pain relief.
- Following anaesthetisation lay the mouse on its stomach and swab the operative region with 70% ethanol.
- Make a 1cm lateral incision through the skin along the animals’ dorsal surface.
- Push the end of a closed pair of surgical scissors under the skin and gently make a pocket for the implant by opening the end of the scissors slightly.
- Place the implant under the skin by gently pushing it into the place made by the scissors.
- Close the incision using a box stitch (hide the knot as mice that are housed together will often pick at each other’s stitches).
- Mice should then be placed on a heat pad until fully recovered.